Friday, January 10, 2014

31 Days of Restoration: COMPASSION



It irritates me ever so slightly when people come up to me and ask, “What happened to him?  Is there something I can do to help?” They are referring to Malachi.  They see all of the tubes, his ventilator and his wheelchair- it’s a lot to take in, I suppose…. I want to shield his heart – and mine too.  I want to protect him from what I perceive as misunderstanding, pity or judgment. And I sometimes feel like I have to make everything okay for the curious stranger. So, I stand on guard by his side with a fixed smile upon my face and a frown upon my brow WILLING them to see that Malachi is a beautiful blessing and not a burden; WILLING them to stand in Malachi’s shoes; WILLING them to walk away in awe, instead of sorrow…..

“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us all in our tribulations that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.”  2 Corinthians 1: 3-4

The word of God calls for the believers to be a compassionate people.  “Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.”  Galatians 6:2   That means more than simply feeling empathetic to someone’s suffering or hardship, but more importantly, being motivated to help them.   The compulsion to help comes from the heart, not the mind.  If we believe that God is at the center of the heart, then we are open to accept another person’s intent as heart-felt, genuine, care and concern.  Perception is not fact; it’s based on thought or intuition.  What we often perceive as pity or judgment is our own fear of what others may think; we project that fear unto others. Compassion, on the other hand, is a gift sewn into the heart of man by God, modeled by Jesus Christ and summoned by the Holy Spirit.

PRAYER OF RESTORATION:  Search me, O Lord and if you find anything not resembling you,  cast it out of my spirit.   Mend my heart, O Lord, that I may receive others’ good intentions as love and kindness.  Renew a right spirit in me that your light may shine in the forefront of my heart forever more.  Amen!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ms. Chapman,
I regret not reviewing this sight fully before now. It is a wonderful sight with great testimonies of a family that have been blessed with a a miracle, and have the opportunity to share this miracle with others. I love working with Malachi, and I marvel at the dedication you, Maurice, Joshua and the nursing staff have to take care of him. Malachi may have some physical challenges, but his mind is alert and well. He truly is a smart young man who just needs the opportunity to express it. I feel that it isn't a mistake that God sent me to your family. I will with the best of my ability try to create opportunities that will address his educational and emotional needs. I cherish the opportunities to work with Malachi.

Ms. Pam Williams

Dena said...

Ms. Williams,
THANK YOU for the gift that you are to Malachi and our family! I agree with you that it is no accident that you were sent to work with Malachi - you were sent by our precious God! THANK YOU for the way that you minister to his soul and mind. Malachi loves you and so do we!
Peace & Blessings :)