Sunday, October 14, 2012

When Your Breakdown Inspires Your Breakthrough


Recently, my husband, Maurice, attended the 2012 United States Conference on AIDS in Las Vegas, NV.  Fortunately, we were able to arrange four days of 24 hour nursing care for our son Malachi so that I could join Maurice in Vegas – trust me, that was no easy task!   While officially, it was not a vacation, we seized a rare opportunity for the two of us to spend some much needed quality time together, away from our kids, our daily stressors and the demands and worries of the world of disability.  Seeing the sites of Las Vegas wasn’t the highlight of our trip – it was the intimate time we spent together having dinner, laughing, talking and just enjoying each other’s company that made this “work-cation” worthwhile.  There was just one little problem.  I had a “moment” while in Vegas; a mini meltdown; an emotional crisis, of sorts....

  On our last night together in Las Vegas, Maurice and I had planned on seeing Mystere, a Cirque du Soleil show.  In an effort to get a price reduction on the tickets, we agreed to do a time share tour of new property still in production in Las Vegas.  Along with about 20 other folks, we viewed a slide show presentation of the time share and took a tour of the property.  Both the host and tour guide were super-friendly and very good at engaging all of the guests in what I call “imagine conversation” – imagine-your-family-vacationing-in-this-dream-location... Of course, it all sounded good, but Maurice and I agreed beforehand that we were not financially in position to acquire any new property; we agreed to say no to any sales offer.  Turning down the offer to purchase property was easy, however, not buying into the “imagine conversation”, proved not to be easy.  While walking through the property, our tour guide referenced the slideshow presentation; she asked us to imagine our family in those pictures creating new rituals and fond family vacation memories.  Without any warning, I felt tears well up in my eyes and gravity pulling my face and emotion down, but I tried to fight it.  Maurice caught the emotion in my eyes and the shift in my mood and asked me, “Are you okay?” I just nodded and tried my best to avoid his stare.  All the while, our tour guide continued to highlight the most impressive features of the property and paint a picture of our family enjoying this sacred time together.   I whipped out my sunglasses and clumsily put them on my face and frantically tried to push down my rising emotion, but with every family image my mind inserted, the emotion slowly kept erupting.  Maurice abruptly stopped the tour, pulled me close and asked, “What’s wrong?”   Well, you know I lost it, right?  Yeah-no, it wasn’t one of those cute, little cries either.  I had a full-blown-emotional-warring-with-my-spirit-cry.  I was overcome with grief and sadness that my family wasn’t a part of that slideshow presentation and likely would never be.  I couldn’t envision my wheelchair and ventilator- bound child grinning like crazy in one of those cozy little vacation scenarios and it bothered me.  I think that the physical, emotional and financial challenge of attempting to coordinate nurses, supplies, life-sustaining equipment and emergent hospital care partially prohibited me from envisioning my family in those scenarios.  But what deeply pained me even more was the improbability of actualizing that great family dream; I was grieving the loss of a normal family life. That’s what brought on my full-blown-emotional-warring-with-my-spirit-cry.  In my mind, that beautiful family vacation would always be just a dream for my family and never a reality.

My husband’s gift is his wisdom; his ability to bring fresh perspective and insight to a situation.  My spirit knows peace when it connects with Maurice’s wisdom.  Maurice reminded me that thirteen years ago when we received Malachi’s diagnosis of Spinal Muscular Atrophy and a life sentence of two years for Malachi, we couldn’t imagine that Malachi would live to be a teenager.  We couldn’t imagine that Malachi would be able to operate a computer with his feet.  We couldn’t imagine that he and his brother Joshua would engage in rounds of sibling rivalry.  In essence, Maurice reminded me that there was so much that we couldn’t imagine with Malachi because of the limitations doctors imposed on his life.  Yet, Malachi exceeded those limitations because time and again, our family dared to imagine; we stood in the possibilities of an omnipotent God!

 With God ALL things are possible; He continues to reveal His hope to us on this journey.  In my moment of doubt and woe, I had a difficult time letting that truth resonate with my spirit.  But later, in my quiet moment, I replayed that tape.  Maurice was right!  We serve a God who loves us unconditionally and calls us to imagine without limitations. God’s dreams for us are beyond anything that we could ever imagine!  When we operate in that divine imagination, we get the blessing and God gets the glory!  The challenge for our family is to accept our charge: to whom much is given, much is required.

QUESTION OF THE DAY:  What dreams have you decided are out of reach?  Share your divine imagination revelation.

8 comments:

Renita Ward said...

Right now, I want to encourage you. Thank YOU for starting your blog (congratulations!) and allowing God to use you and your family in this way. This is my first step in joining the conversation. Divinely imagining, your Sister thru Christ ~ Renita

Dena said...

Renita!

THANK YOU so much for your words of encouragement and for daring to join the conversation! I used to think I had no gifts to share with God - or the world... I now know that my family is my gift to share with the world! The adversities we've faced have bought us closer to God and I am so grateful to share the triumphs and blessings for His glory. May you continue to be,

Divinely Inspired,
Dena

Kwesimo1 said...

I am so proud of you, baby! Keep dreaming BIG dreams, keep sharing your inspiring spirit. Keep encouraging others, and keep praising our God!!! 1-4-3!

Unknown said...

BLESSINGS my dear sister, Dena! Truly awesome blog. I miss your writing voice and am so very glad that you have decided to share it with us. You are beautiful woman inside and out. You are the most loving mother that I know. And, you and Maurice are a testimony that we all do have a soulmate!

Dena said...

Diane!
I am so humbled by your gracious words of love and support. Please pray the Holy Spirit's guidance and direction on this writing journey. As a fellow writer, I know I can count on your literary support. And as as woman of great faith, I look forward to your contribution in terms of how God has grown your faith!

Be Divinely Inspired,
Dena

Dena said...

Kwesimo1 (Husband :)

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! It's OUR story and I and our readers look forward to your perspective of this journey!
xoxo,
Dena

Anonymous said...

Dena,
Your writing is beautiful and I am blessed you are sharing it with others. I too have with the Lord's guidance modified my dreams, my family's dreams. I've been shown how to cherish a second when Rob is having a hard time breathing, a minute when Rob is engaged in a new experience he is enjoying and voices his opinion, an hour when I am able to read and reflect, and a day when there is a special family outing.

God is good and teaches my family so many lessons. I have felt too like you Dena and could not imagine where my family fits in. Yet my family is so enriched by this journey. I am grateful to God for each and every day. Thanks for reminding me.

Blessings and Love to you all,
Terry

Dena said...

Terry!



I absolutely LOVE how you expressed the reality of your truth! Your words resonate in my spirit; I know that YOU know the absolute gift of this journey! We are greatly challenged, but we are blessed even more so. Thank you for sharing your eloquent, thoughtful and heart-felt wisdom. Terry, you should be writing!!! Blessings & Love to you, Rigo & Rob as well and may you continue to be,



Divinely Inspired,

Dena

xoxoxox