Monday, December 3, 2012

A Christmas to Remember


"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  Jeremiah 29:11



I love Christmas, even though in my household, it’s a dicey time of the year for our family.  For some peculiar reason, the last couple of years, Malachi has been sick to the point of needing hospitalization right around the Christmas holiday.  The very first Christmas hospitalization was in 2004.  The week prior to Christmas, Malachi started showing signs of a respiratory infection – he had fever, increased secretions and decreased oxygen levels.  Malachi’s doctor and I kept in constant contact; I gave him updates as things were progressing and he gave me medical protocols to follow.  Unfortunately, the closer we got to Christmas day, the worse things progressed.  On Christmas Eve 2004, Malachi’s respiratory function was so poor that I had to place him on oxygen.  Malachi’s doctor and I made a plan to have him admitted to the ICU of the hospital the next day.  I was bummed and really scared, but I had to break the news to my family, so I put on my brave face and explained the circumstances as best as I could to them. 

My family is truly amazing and I love them!  In an effort to make the best out of a difficult situation, my family rallied and decided to begin our celebration on Christmas Eve.  At that time, Josh was only about seven years old and his biggest concern was how Santa would feel about us celebrating Christmas a day ahead of schedule.  Joshua got busy writing Santa a special letter.  He told him that his little brother was very ill and that everyone in the family was praying for him to be better soon.  He went on to explain that we were going to unwrap some of the presents under the tree this evening because Malachi would be in the hospital tomorrow, but Santa should still stop by with the gifts he had for us.  True to tradition, Joshua baked cookies that evening for Santa that he later put on a plate next to a can of Pepsi.  And he sat carrots and a bucket of water outside the door for Santa’s reindeer.  Later that evening as we gathered around the Christmas tree, we prayed for Malachi's healing and exchanged a few presents.  I had hoped to bring Malachi into the front room for the festivities but he was too weak and was getting much needed rest and I dare not disturb his slumber.  I remember it being very difficult for me to stay in the moment with my family; I was worried about Malachi and a bit bewildered at the timing of his illness.  I guess I never really thought about people being in the hospital on Christmas day; Christmas was a day to celebrate hope, happiness and family, not grieve illness.

The following morning, Maurice and Josh drove Malachi and I to the hospital and Malachi was admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU).  The hospital was a ghost town!  We were one of a handful of patients on the unit, which only added to my somber mood.  In an effort to maintain some sense of normalcy for Joshua, Maurice and Joshua returned home to participate in some of the family festivities.  It’s always hard for me to separate from the rest of my family when Malachi is in the hospital – we are a close family, but it was especially hard separating on Christmas day.  I felt sad and lonely...To my surprise, later that evening, Maurice and Joshua came to the hospital with Christmas dinner, Christmas cheer and presents to share!  I was grateful to have my whole family together.  We weren't in the comfort of our own home, but we were together, making the best of a difficult situation because that’s what families do.  That Christmas in the hospital, I thought about a precious baby boy born in a stable – He too wasn't in the comfort of His home.  And I thought about His parents giving their best in spite of the circumstances.   I thought about what His birth meant to the world; the struggles He would endure for the lessons to be taught.  And I thought about the hopes and dreams that His parents had for His life; hope and dreams that couldn't compare to the plans of our Father.  And I felt completely humbled to have that special moment in the hospital, out of the comfort zone of my home, but surrounded by my family and cloaked in His promise of hope and a future.   He destined that moment for His glory.  One of my favorite moments of Christmas 2004 in the ICU was Maurice gently stroking Malachi’s curly locs and reassuring Malachi, Joshua and I that everything was going to be alright. We had prayer at Malachi’s bedside and afterwards, Maurice softly sang to Malachi the songs of Zion –“For every mountain, you bought me over, for every trial, you've seen me through, for every blessing, Hallelujah!  For this, I give you praise!”   

Question of the Day:  What stories of hope and a future does Christmas conjure up for you and your family?

No comments: