Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Amazing Grace!


“For I know the plans I have for you” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”  Jeremiah 29:11

I’m really bad at taking my blood pressure medication – often, I don’t take it.  I could use the excuse that the pill is so tiny that I forget about it, but the truth is, I hate being dependent upon medication.  In fact, I down right resent it!  I guess not taking my medication is my way of staging a rebellion.  Against who?  No one but myself!  The other day, I felt light-headed and weak.  On my way to the food pantry, I just sat down on the floor of the hallway, leaned against the door, closed my eyes and deeply inhaled.  I hadn't taken my blood pressure medication in over a week and I was feeling the effects of my negligence.  While sitting on the hallway floor, I had a flashback to more than ten years earlier.  I recalled a moment in time when I felt extreme fatigue.  Now when I tell you my fatigue was extreme, I am telling you that I literally could not get up.  For weeks, I was either tied to my bed or camped out on the couch.  I had neither energy nor appetite to move.  It wasn't the usual tired from ripping and running.  All at once, I felt weak and heavy and every time I made an effort to move my body, I simply couldn't.  Clearly, something was off.  Other than fatigue and loss of appetite, I don’t remember other symptoms, but I do vividly remember all of the feelings I felt.  Confused, scared, powerless, desperate.  What’s wrong with me?   Why wasn't my brain sending the message to my body to get up and move?  Would God rescue me?

With my husband’s help, I went to see my doctor.  She took an extensive history and began to run a series of tests.  She wondered aloud if I had an autoimmune disorder, like Lupus.  I was terrified that my whole life was about to change.  Some folks may called it luck, but I am more inclined to call it grace – God spared me of that fate; I didn't have Lupus.  As the weeks slowly progressed, I got better.  My energy and appetite returned and I was able to freely move again.  I resumed normal activities and my normal life.  I had a similar situation of potential illness (albeit not as dramatic) when Joshua was ten months old – he was diagnosed with asthma and shortly thereafter, so was I.  I was prescribed steroid medication and an inhaler to manage the asthma.  Other than the initial episode, I've not had one single attack nor any asthma symptoms, for that matter -ever!  I knew very early on that asthma would not be a part of my life, however, I wasn't so sure about the Lupus....  While I was sitting on the hallway floor reflecting back to those health scares, I just began to thank God for my health and thank Him for His grace. The minimal weakness I felt earlier combined with the flashback while sitting on the floor was motivation for me to re-evaluate my irresponsible actions.  It dawned on me that I was spared those health challenges because God had a greater plan for my life. We all have challenges of some sort; God said we would have trouble in this life. I am grateful to have good health and my promise to myself this year is to be more appreciative of my health by taking better care of myself.  For me, that means taking my medication; no more acts of rebellion!

I can’t imagine all of the plans that God has in store for me, but I do want to be physically and spiritually fit to fulfill His plans for my life and to serve Him with gladness.  There is no limit when God is in it!

QUESTION OF THE DAY:  How do you show God that you trust the plans He has for your life?  How do you (intentionally or unintentionally) sabotage His plans?

No comments: