Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Hear My Voice


My sheep hear my voice;
 I know them, and they follow me.  John 10:27

I have spent a lot of time grieving the fact that Malachi is unable to speak a single word; a lot of hours in therapy processing and contemplating what he thinks and feels but is unable to say.  As a mother, it’s been agonizingly painful wondering if Malachi is angry, frustrated or confused by thoughts and feelings he cannot express.  I yearn to know if that is his reality because the mother in me wants to soothe what ails my child; I want to offer him comfort so that he can make sense of his circumstances.   The mother in me has not only been pained about his inability to verbalize his thoughts and feelings, but also curious about what his voice would sound like if he could speak.   And I cried out to God and told Him of my concerns and gave Him the burden of my pain....

The pain of the past cannot compare to the joy of the present!  Over the last two months, Malachi’s communication has taken off in a very profound way.  While he has always had access to the pre-programmed words and phrases in his Dynavox (computerized laptop communication device), Malachi is growing leaps and bounds in his communication skills.  He demonstrates intentionality about what he wants to communicate and he doesn't allow the Dynavox or anything or anyone for that matter, to limit or restrict his communication; Malachi will piece together words and phrases to convey what he wants and needs.  Before our very eyes, we are watching him unlock the world and it is a beautiful thing to witness.  Malachi has found his voice; he is master of his universe!  He continues to be an example of how to live in spite of his limitations.

I still wonder what Malachi feels about his limitations, but I know in time that Malachi will express whatever feelings he wants to share.  And the ache that I once harbored is no longer an extension of me, it’s been replaced with the joy of watching Malachi discover a whole new world.   Although the Dynavox projects a computerized, mechanical voice, it is Malachi’s voice that I hear speaking with clarity, authority and intention.  I know Malachi’s voice without having ever heard him utter an audible syllable; we are connected spirit-to-spirit; he speaks from his heart to mine and I feel him.  I liken our connection to my relationship with God; I have never seen His face nor heard His actual voice, but my heart knows the distinct sound of His voice because spirit-to-spirit, we are connected.  His Holy Spirit dwells in me and I feel the unconditional love of His son, Jesus, upon me.  I know Malachi’s voice in the same way that I know God’s voice and the love of God.

Yesterday, Malachi called me to his room on his Dynavox, “Mom! Mom!  Mommy!” I entered his room and approached his bedside. 
“Yes, Malachi. I’m here.  What is it, baby?” I asked
“Mom, give me kisses, please.” He said
I smiled a broad grin and reached down to plant a ton of juicy kisses on Malachi’s cheeks, forehead and chin.
“Okay!” he said
And I looked at him and smirked.  Typical teenager.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIozJL2APX4

Question of the Day:  What cues or triggers are you aware of that signal to you with certainty that it’s God’s voice that you are hearing?

8 comments:

Teresita said...

Its beautiful that you can share with us the development of Malachi's ability to communicate. Its a beautiful thing to see him developing like a typical teenager. "Enough" he says. Just like my kid!

Dena said...

NEVER in a million years would I have imagined that Malachi would communicate at this level! We are elated and really in AWE of our AWESOME God! I'm sure the average person thinks, "What's the big deal? It's not like he's come up with the cure for cancer, but when you've been told that the quality of your child's life would be ZERO.... Well, I think you get the jist of my mighty praise to God! Thanks for sharing and believing, Tere.

Peace & Blessings,
Dena

Anonymous said...

It is so beautiful to see Malachi express himself. It warms my heart and spirit! I am so proud of you Malachi!!!

Hugs and kisses from the Cortes family (if you'll let us. . . LOL)

Terry

Dena said...

Terry, Rigo & Rob,

You DO realize that it was you guys that introduced our family to the Dynavox, right? We've been happily following in your footsteps! God sent the right family to encourage us! Praise Him!!! And btw, there is plenty of love (and kisses) to spread around :)

Be Divinely Inspired,
Dena

Bibi' said...

Cousin, FYI! The "average" person is missing OUT on the level of LOVE and INTIMACY you have w/GOD and your family . . .

You continue to BLESS MY SOCKS OFF!

Dena said...

Cousin,
We are so humbled and grateful for His blessings manifested through the miracle of Malachi. To God be the glory!!!

Dena

Anonymous said...

You go Malachi!!! I'm so thrilled that he's able to give voice to his needs, thoughts, and wants. Inspiration is what it is, he inspires me to quit complaining.

I don't know my cues or triggers at the moment, I'm feeling such a disconnect. Maybe I'll be able to answer that once I'm done going through this test.

Twana

Dena said...

Beloved (Twana),

When we go through trials (tests)we most definitely want to be listening to and for the right voice - the voice of God. I pray that you are able to discern His voice over all others so that your test may become your testimony!

Dena