Monday, September 16, 2013

And A Little Child Shall Lead Them



Mom, can I take Malachi to school for show and tell next week?”  That was the year that Joshua was a fifth grader.  My initial reaction was shock- actually, I was horrified.  Who does that?  I mean, what kid would think to take his brother to school as his show and tell project?  Moreover, what kind of mother would I be to allow such a thing?

Then I began to play the tape back; I began to think back to the times our family had gone to the zoo or museum and Joshua had become so fed up with other kids pointing or staring at his little brother that he literally stood in front of him, arms crossed, angry scowl on his face and a menacing look in his eye, daring anyone to even questioningly glance his way.   Joshua sees himself as Malachi’s protector.  Having a little brother who is severely disabled has been emotionally challenging for Joshua; it’s taken him some time to process what all that means and how to navigate being a sibling of a little brother with special needs.

 “Mom, they act like he’s an exhibit in a museum!”   I try to soften the blow with a plausible explanation, “Josh, you’re used to his wheelchair and all of the tubes.  A lot of kids have never seen disability up close.”


That evening, Joshua made his pitch about taking his brother, Malachi, to show and tell at school and I listened – really listened, to his heart.  He wanted to set the record straight; he wanted others to see his brother as a real person with real feelings.  He wanted the kids to know that it’s not okay to laugh, point or stare at people just because they’re different.  Joshua wanted to get in front of the situation and be in control of his feelings.  Bless his little heart. 

As a toddler, Joshua was the most kind and thoughtful child.  His compassion and eagerness to show kindness to others touched me.  Often, I would praise his acts of kindness by saying, “Bless your little heart” to him.  He caught on quickly and would often beat me to the punch – “Bless my little heart, Mommy?”

The following week, accompanied by myself and a nurse, Joshua proudly took Malachi to show and tell at his school and it was good – for both of them!  That day, both boys were rock stars!  Initially, Joshua’s classmates were a bit shy and apprehensive about approaching Malachi.   Then, they began to ask the questions they needed to ask to make sense of what they were seeing, hearing and feeling.  The apprehension began to shift.  “He can operate a computer with his feet?”  “Wow!  That’s cool!” The kids circled around Malachi and embraced him with acceptance and love. 

Show and tell was a huge success!  Joshua took his brother to school for show and tell.  Who does that?  A big brother who gets it that although his little brother is uniquely different, he’s not a museum exhibit or someone to be ridiculed; he’s a human being with feelings; he’s Joshua’s little brother; he’s a child of God – and Joshua wants everyone else to get it too.  Bless his little heart.

“The wolf will live with the lamb,
the leopard will lie down with the goat,
the calf and the lion and the yearling together;
and a little child shall lead them.”  Isaiah 11:6



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Such a touching memory. I to get it and it's partly because of Malachi. I no longer gaze too long or stare at others with disabilities, now I glance just as I would anyone else. However, my past stares or long gazes as I call them, were never to be disrespectful or impersonal. I've just always been curious of "different."

Yes a child shall lead us, life through a child's eye has great appreciation, much love, and endless possibilities. If only adults could still peek through the innocent eyes of a child..... It makes me wonder how different our world would be!

Twana S Brunson