Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Inspired To Dream


 


When Joseph came to them the next morning, he saw that they were dejected.  So he asked Pharaoh’s officials who were in custody with him in his master’s house, “Why do you look so sad today?”  “We both had dreams,” they answered, “but there is no one to interpret them.”  Then Joseph said to them, “Do not interpretations belong to God?  Tell me your dreams.” 

Gen. 40:6 - 8

   I’m a girl that can appreciate moments of quiet – especially if you consider the fact that my male dominated family always has sports or a sports news program blasting from the TV.  For me, quiet is good reflection time; time for me to relax my spirit and listen for God.  This past weekend, in my moments of quiet reflection, I found myself wandering in the dreams of my children as I wandered in and out of their bedrooms.   I believe that as parents, we shape our children’s dreams by planting seeds of aspiration and cultivating those seeds to grow.  As I looked about their respective bedrooms, I caught a glimpse of the dreams of my children; the seeds Maurice and I had begun to plant that were taking root right there in their bedrooms and undoubtedly in their minds....

 Joshua’s bedroom walls are painted in rich hues of blood orange and olive green.  He chose those colors himself and they well represent his personality – warm, soothing and mature.  His dreams are carefully placed in his room – a large framed black & white picture of Muhammad Ali knocking out Sonny Liston; an Eagles banner draped across an archway; souvenir baseballs lined neatly on his dresser top; a picture of Grand-Pop (Maurice’s dad); a mini-library of books on a tiered book shelf and a large framed black & white photo of the notorious Rat Pack.  Joshua dreams of a successful future in sports business; he wants to win big in life and his room reflects those dreams.   I think the photo of Grand-Pop represents family and a strong work ethic – values that Grand-Pop believed in most.

Malachi, on the other hand, has a bright, blue stars and moon themed bedroom.  He has a banner with affirmations like: “Dare to be yourself!”  Brown angel figurines inhabit one of the shelves of his bustling book rack.  There are reminders of the presence of God everywhere – a plaque that says, “God is love”; and another one that says, “You are heaven sent”; and a framed picture card that says, “Jesus loves you!”  And of course, Malachi’s room is dotted with medical equipment and supplies that we’ve tried to make less conspicuous.

In my mind, the contrast in my boys' rooms is striking.  We have given Joshua a tangible future to reach for, but Malachi’s future is less tangible and more rooted in eternity with God.  The topic of dreams of the future has always been challenging for me where Malachi is concerned; that topic activates the verb do (doing) which brings up limitations for Malachi.  It’s hard for me to envision Malachi doing typical things we dream for our children: college, marriage, career, etc...  But God keeps showing me that Malachi’s journey is not typical and therefore he will not do typical things.  Moreover, whereas society defines success by what we do, God is more interested in who we are being.   In the early stages of Malachi’s diagnosis, friends would often share with me the dreams they had of Malachi walking, talking and being free of the ventilator.  I wondered why I, his mother, never had those dreams and the wonderment of why deeply pained me....  Today I am wiser and at a place of peace with regard to my dreams for my children.  God is showing up in both Joshua and Malachi’s life and doing AWESOME things!  Malachi is walking in the favor of God!  In the bible, Malachi is a prophet who brings good news.  How befitting for my Malachi!  I never dreamt that my child would be a prophet.    I’m so grateful that God's dreams for us are bigger than I could ever imagine.

QUESTION OF THE DAY:  What inspires the dreams you have for your children?  What imprint has God made on those dreams?

4 comments:

Deez said...

Dena,
This entry blessed me today.Thank you for sharing your wisdom.
Dara

Anonymous said...

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! NEVER stop dreaming for your children or for YOURSELF!

Divinely Inspired,
Dena

Anonymous said...

You amaze me! I have been so scared to dream about my children. Tonite, you have inspired me! My prayer is that God gives me the strength and courage to dream for my beautiful babies! God bless you!

Kathryn Williams

Dena said...

Kathryn!

I know what you mean; I used to be held hostage by fear too! It was hard to think about the future because the daily challenges were/are monumental. But God did not give us a spirit of fear! I think parents of children with special needs are given the gift of perspective; we have to change our perspective about how we not only look at our challenges, but how we live our challenges. When we do that, we give our children permission to live beyond "one day at a time"; we give them and ourselves permission to dream of a future. It won't look like a "typical" child's future - our children aren't typical, they're EXCEPTIONAL and they have a special charge from God. What has your son done that you never dreamed he would do? That's God allowing us to dream new dreams :) I will pray with you for strength & courage to dare to dream!

Be Divinely Inspired,
Dena