Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Season of Change


Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or stow away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not much more valuable than they?”  Matthew 6:26

These last few days I have gasped out loud as my eyes have taken in the rich iridescent hues of red, orange and yellow on the leaves.  We are in the midst of fall and all of its glorious splendor.  And as I drink in the beauty of nature, I have only one thought:  Look at God!  He is a Masterful Creator!  We are a witness to the beauty of nature; it’s a constant we come to expect and appreciate. The vibrant colored leaves as they fall from the trees.  The pureness of the first snow of winter.  Long, sun-drenched days and balmy nights signal the arrival of summer.  And colorful flowers burst from the seams to highlight the call of spring.  Yes, every season of nature is marked by change, some subtle, some swift and abrasive, but nevertheless, beautiful.  Like nature, every one of us experiences seasons of change in our lives- changes in our marriage, changes on our jobs, changes in our health, just to name a few.   Yet, why is it that we are inspired by the beauty of seasonal changes, yet we neglect to embrace the beauty of change in our lives?  Perhaps we don’t readily see the beauty in our changing situation; that beauty is usually foreshadowed by fear and worry....

  A couple of years ago, I had to abruptly leave my part-time job due to circumstances beyond my control.  In my heart, I knew had given all that I could to the families I served, so it was time to move on.  But for all practical purposes, I wasn’t prepared to leave my position.  Additionally, I was not optimistic that I would find another employer that could offer me the support and flexibility I needed to manage Malachi’s needs.  I couldn’t see the beauty of change in that situation because I was afraid of turning a corner and not finding an open door.  A year later, I embarked on an opportunity to do parent engagement and parent development (leadership) work.  The scope of my work is not limited to parents of children with special needs, however, it is inclusive and I still have the opportunity to teach parents how to advocate for their children’s needs.  Additionally, I have the flexibility and support I need.  And the best blessing is that that “time out” from work inspired me to resume my passion – writing.  In Matthew 6:25, Jesus tells us, “Therefore, I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear.  Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?  Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or stow away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not much more valuable than they?”

 Again, I say, look at God!  He is a Masterful Creator!   He takes care of EVERYTHING in the universe and will meet us in our season of change.  And when we value that belief, we can begin to embrace the change in our lives because we know that change is seasonal and all seasons are divinely inspired.  I looked up the words divine and inspire in the dictionary and here’s what it said: Divine, of or related to God; devoted to God.   Inspire, to breath into or upon; to breathe life into.  God will anoint your season with His breath of life!

 
QUESTION OF THE DAY:

 

WHAT

in your spirit     in your thoughts     in your family     in your future     in your hurts

in your circumstances     in your dreams     in your children     in your relationships

in your body     in your hopes     in your home

in your HEART

 

DO YOU WANT GOD TO BREATH LIFE INTO???

 

 

6 comments:

Kwesimo1 said...

What a great and inspirational way to start my day here in San Francisco! I really appreciate the manner in which you describe the seasonal changes we all experience...Now STOP calling me old!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Thank you for this.

Dena said...

Maurice!

I am glad that you were inspired by the descriptors of seasonal changes - truly, that beauty is something to behold. That AWE that we experience when we capture or "snapshot" nature, for me, just speaks to the awesomeness ogf GOD! I hope that you were equally inspired by the word and message behind today's writing. Don't be afraid of growing old, Maurice; there is beauty in ALL change :)

xoxox,
Dena

Dena said...

Anonymous,
thank you for reading today's blog post and thank you for taking the time to post a comment.


Be Divinely Inspired,
Dena

Anonymous said...

I would like God to breathe life into my body, restless mind, family, and spirit. I so need the breath of life daily to deal with all of my inner struggles.

Very inspiring post. Really something to think about, embracing change.

Twana

Dena said...

Twana,

Elihu said to Job, "The Spirit of God has made me and the breath of the Almighty has given me life." Job 33:4 So too, He has poured His breath into you - into your body, into your family, into, your restless mind. The next time that you take a breath, be conscious that it is His breath that you inhale and in your mind say those inner struggles that you identified. And when you exhale, be confident that your breath and the things you spoke connected with the breath of God that dwells in YOU!

Praying with you,
Dena