Sunday, October 21, 2012

Wait For It!


But by faith we eagerly await through the spirit the righteousness through which we hope.  Galatians 5:5

 Parents, teachers and therapists were abuzz with excitement as the final preparations for the Special Olympics at Malachi’s school were nearly complete.  This extraordinary event was an annual occurrence for all of our city-wide special education programs, but it was a first for our family and I couldn’t wait to see how the school staff would engage Malachi’s participation in the activities.  Clearly, Malachi was the most physically compromised child in the school; he did not have the capacity to sit for extended periods of time like the other children, in fact, while in school, he spent much of his time lying down on a stretcher.   Additionally, he was the only child in the school tethered to a ventilator.   I wondered, what could they possibly do to have him compete in the Special Olympics?  But, I kept my optimism in check by reminding myself, there are no problems, only opportunities for God to show up and show out!

The gymnasium was festively decorated in the school’s colors of yellow and green and sectioned off for different games and races.  Colorful banners made by the children decorated the walls and rainbow –colored streamers rained over every archway.  Josh ran off to the school courtyard for the free pony rides as Maurice and I wandered about the gymnasium goggling at all of the specially adapted contraptions for the Olympic Games.  Shortly thereafter, I spotted my mom and my middle brother entering the gymnasium.  I walked over to greet them.  After exchanging hugs, I noticed my brother’s somber demeanor.  “What’s wrong?” I asked   “Nuthin” he muttered while looking away.  “Where’s Malachi?” he asked “Oh, the physical therapist is helping Nurse Julie get him ready for his event. “ I said He just nodded as he glanced nervously about the gym.  All of a sudden, we heard a loud voice over the speaker.  It was the principal announcing the start of the games.  I signaled for Maurice to go and get Josh and I took my seat in the bleachers with my family. 

If you’ve never been to a Special Olympics, let me be the first to tell you that it is a beautiful, awe-inspiring event!  I was simply amazed at how the school staff worked with love, dedication and patience with each and every student – all with differing abilities.  EVERY child competed in some event and every child received some type of ribbon or medal.  The room was bursting with love and pride from the school staff to the parents and family.  About ten minutes before Malachi’s event, I noticed that my brother slipped away from the bleachers and headed outside alone...When it was time for Malachi’s event, his physical therapist motioned for us to come to the floor and wait for him at the finish line.  The therapist had rigged a motor base to a tumble form chair (a specially padded therapeutic chair).  With Malachi sitting at a 45 degree angle in the chair, his index finger was attached to a splint and the splint was attached to the motor.  Every time Malachi lightly tapped the switch, the chair would inch forward.  Malachi was in a “car race” with two other children!  On your mark.  Get set.  GO!  And off the three boys went!  Maurice, Josh, my mom and I were jumping up and down cheering loudly.  “C’mon Malachi!  You can do it!  PUUUUUSSSHHH!”  Malachi was bringing up the rear – he had gotten a slow start and was inching his “car” along.  And then a pretty cool thing happened.  Malachi figured out that if he kept his index finger depressed on the switch, the car would glide as opposed to inch across the floor.  Malachi floored his “gas pedal!”  As he came sailing towards the finish line, we couldn’t contain our cheers or tears as Malachi *wait for it* crossed the finish line and won first place in his first Special Olympics!  It was a proud moment for my family.  But in the back of my mind, I wondered why my brother disappeared.   After all of the excitement died down, I mentioned the incident to Maurice.  Maurice told me that he and my brother had spoken and that my brother shared with him that being around children with disabilities made him uncomfortable and sad.  When he looked at the children, he saw their limitations, not their possibilities and that made him both uncomfortable and sad.  It was too much for him to handle....

Initially, I was ticked with my brother.  I wanted him to be right there with the rest of our family cheering Malachi to victory. I wanted him to see that Malachi and the other children were capable of winning in life.  In my moment of quiet reflection, I had to consider the lens through which my brother saw the situation; he was looking at Malachi and the other children with his human eyes and not his spiritual eyes.   Our humanity can only see what is right in front of us, but God challenges us to see situations with our spiritual eyes; to look at a situation or person with the love of a merciful God.  Whenever we choose to only see with human eyes, we will always walk away from a blessing.  The lens of our spiritual eyes allows us to experience the omnipotence of God!  It’s a lens that will bring hope into sharp focus!  It’s a lens without limitations. It’s a lens that reads, “all things are possible with God!”   My brother missed that opportunity and thus a blessing, because he walked away; or as we say in pop-culture, he simply didn’t, wait for it.
 

QUESTION OF THE DAY:  What divinely inspired opportunity did you miss because you didn’t, wait for it?

2 comments:

Moty315 said...

Thanks for sharing. I was so excited by the switch operated tumble form and didn't read the story at first. Loved it. Mary Kay O'L

Dena said...

LOL! Your excitement is pure joy! I was excited about the chair too; therapists do some really amazing work - and so does GOD! Thanks for reading Mary Kay. I will send more pics of the chair to your email :)